WebOS 2 Upgrade
With the release of the webOS 2.1 doctor by HP for O2 and Vodafone Pre+ devices, there is now a legal way to get webOS 2.1 onto the legacy devices of carriers that are not onboard with the 2.x upgrade. Compatible devices include the AT&T Pre Plus, Sprint Pre, and Verizon Pre Plus. This is not compatible with Pixi devices.
This is a bleeding edge, alpha process at this time, which may result in complete loss of data and permanent damage to your device. Do not proceed unless you are OK with that. Working knowledge of MetaDoctor and Linux systems in general is needed.
Using MetaDoctor Scripts
Step 1: Install MetaDoctor
- see Application:MetaDoctor for information on how to install MetaDoctor
Step 2: Run device-specific MetaDoctor script
- The MetaDoctor scripts will automatically download the latest necessary webOS doctors, will extract and replace radio firmwares as necessary (for CDMA phones), and will build and launch the modified doctor.
- Run the script in the meta-doctor/scripts folder that corresponds to your device. Example:
Step 3: Run the modified webOS Doctor
- Apps that are marked as only compatible with 2.x will not work with these doctored installations of webOS 2.1, as the palm profile still reports version 1.40.50.
- To be able to sign in to an existing 1.4.5 palm profile, /etc/palm-build-info is replaced with the version from the 1.4.5 doctor to trick Palm's servers into believing it is a valid device/OS combination and allowing app catalog access. Once app catalog access is achieved, /etc/palm-build-info can be replaced with the 2.1 version which is found in meta-doctor/palm-build-info-unmasqed on the computer you built the doctor with.