The WebOS Internals wiki exists to record and organise legitimate information about webOS and the Linux operating system upon which it runs.
The founders and administrators of the wiki define 'legitimate' as being information that does not violate commonly accepted legal, ethical or moral frameworks.
The intention is to create a wiki that does not cause Palm or its cellular carrier partners to need to react negatively to what is contained in the wiki.
It is accepted that some areas of interest for some participants will fall outside of these boundaries, and we expect participants to record information related to those areas through other avenues.
We hold the relationship between the third-party development community and Palm to be of high importance, and will err on the side of retaining that relationship.
Please note our disclaimer.
If you add information which you did not discover yourself, please try to give credit to the original researcher. Also, please do not add information that has not been confirmed. This is meant to be a collection of facts, and our site is growing quickly, so organization may sometimes be lacking.
WebOS Internals is a meritocracy. If you have something to contribute, then please create an account and contribute it. Note that the MediaWiki software will automatically capitalise the first letter of your username, so you might want to use something like 'FirstnameLastname' instead of something like 'username' (which will end up appearing on the wiki as 'Username').
If your contribution is deemed to be technically meritorious by one of the existing wiki administrators, then they will grant your account administrator status too.
We expect to have many wiki administrators, and share the load of managing this wiki amongst them equally. Maintaining the content and organisation of this site is the job of the WebOS Internals developer community, not the people who happened to have the idea of setting up this wiki.
Anyone who registers with the site can create new content and modify existing content (although at some point in the future we expect that modifications to this page and a small set of other significant pages will need to be limited to the wiki administrators). We do not accept anonymous contributions.
The wiki administrators do reserve the right to edit any and all content and/or structure to maintain the stated goals of this site.
Contributions to this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License. Note that this doesn't stop you actually using the information for any purpose, it just keeps the information (and any derivatives of it) freely available.
Whilst the focus at this site is on content rather than presentation, we do welcome anyone to help in organizing the information that is contributed and generally making the site easier to use and better looking. If you need higher privileges to do this, then please let the WikiSysop know.
Things which are appropriate here
- Information about the file system and hidden files
- Gaining access to the Linux operating system
- Modifying and enhancing the Linux
- Firewall info
- Native applications
- Modifying system settings
- Accessing third-party services
Things inappropriate for this wiki
- Asking basic questions that could be answered by searching Google and/or the Pre forums
- Anything related to ringtones ;)
- Anything **blatantly** illegal in the United States. No copyrighted material! Fair Use and DMCA exemptions are at the moderators' discretion, which will not be lenient.
- Palm copyrighted code may NOT be posted here OR in the IRC channel. You have been warned, and from this and all points may be kicked and/or banned.
Convention / etiquette
- Pages should not be created prematurely, but sometimes are, without all the facts regarding possible breaking/borking of something, so please keep this in mind. Please try not to create a page that is misleading to users. Thoroughly test your mod (if it is one), or put up a disclaimer!
- Updates to the pages on this site come in continuously, given their authors find the time. Bear this in mind. Methods for tweaking are subject to change!
- **Please do not create orphaned pages.** At a minimum link to new pages through one of the portal pages below with a //**Work in Progress**// title at the top.
- Basic guidelines and rules of the internet and IRC do apply in these respective zones.
- [*http://www.precentral.net/ PreCentral.net] The most active Pre-centric forums and the largest source for homebrew apps.
- [*http://www.everythingpre.com/ everythingpre]
- [*http://www.howardforums.com/ howard forums] - Good for a wide variety of general phone / carrier info
- [*http://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page the iPhone Wiki] - A great example of an organized hack wiki, as well as lots of valuable technical information about boot loaders, buffer overflow exploits, and more
- [*http://palmpre.org PalmPre.org] - Unofficial Palm Pre Fan site