Talk:Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit
Modified the APP variable in the script
Modified the script to change
I'm no script writer, and wouldn't normally change someone else's code, but the script did not work as originally written unless you were already in that directory. I tested it with the changes, and it works properly now.
--Herb 14:31, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
Not sure why it didn't work for you as your change didn't work for me. Are you using a different shell? I added a line to force #!/bin/sh and altered the code back with a note about your change.
--Xorg 03:12, 1 October 2009 (UTC)
My bad. The way the code was originally formatted, I couldn't cut and paste, and when entering it, I somehow missed the
cd $ORG command. You're right, it should (and does) work in the original format.
--Herb 06:01, 1 October 2009 (UTC)
Changing app directory to .app
I had noticed that with the 1.2 update, all of the graphics on the USB directory were being scanned as if they were photos. This was pretty much a mess, and hand planned on coming back here to suggest that the "app" directory be changed to ".app" so it would be hidden. I noticed the altered code already had that change, but the original intro did not. Assuming this was the intent, I changed that.
--Herb 14:36, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
Restructured script to use functions
I've restructured the script to use functions. This allows anyone to post in their own functions and additional features.
--Xorg 19:50, 2 October 2009 (UTC)
Suggestion for the script
Perhaps in preparation for the "unlink" command, the "link" command can also create a full backup of the app (.tgz) which will contain the full permissions and any symbolic links that will be lost when copying the app to the /media/internal/.apps directory. That way if we find that the app does not run correctly from the linked version on /media/internal/.apps, we can restore it fully to /var with no loss of data.
--plee3 21:46, 2 October 2009 (UTC)