I propose the following changes to the portal box in the sidebar:
- Accessing Linux should not be a portal. It is more of a tutorial, and most people only need it once. It would be better to have it only linked from the main page.
- webOS Applications and Linux Applications renamed to just webOS and Linux. These portals are already more than just applications, and more things will probably be added to them.
- Hardware Information renamed to Hardware
- Research & Reference split. (the line's already wrapping, so it wouldn't take up more space)
- The page Portal:Misc renamed to Portal:Miscellaneous. If it can be spelled out in the sidebar, it definitely can be spelled out in the article title.
- The Palm SDK & Docs renamed to SDK
- Put Miscellaneous after Tools
This would be the result:
That looks much nicer, don't you agree? More concise and not as much line wrapping. Of course, the pages themselves will have to be renamed, too.
Tell me what you think. If you're an admin who can edit the sidebar, i already have the code ready for you in a comment here for easy copy and paste.
—X1011 05:05, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
it does look nicer, but it's less informative. The consensus of the webos-internals ops is for the time being the answer is "no." recognizing that things are changing VERY FAST and we may revisit this again in the not-too-distant future. rboatright 00:14, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
less informative how? would it prevent someone from finding what they're looking for?
we can implement just some of the changes if there are specific parts you guys don't like.
also, where was this consensus reached? if it was in IRC, please post the log. i think in the future, consensus should be established on the wiki so that it is documented and everyone can be a part of it.
—X1011 00:30, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
I think the Google group should go on the community portal instead, since that's where irc is too. We don't need to put everything on the sidebar. —X1011 03:41, 27 July 2009 (UTC)